Skip to content

Access keys for

  • h Home
  • m Menu
  • 0 Show list of access keys
  • 2 Skip to content
  • 3 Skip to top

Medical requirements

You have to confirm that you are medically fit each time you apply for, renew or replace your driver licence. This may simply involve signing the declaration on the licence application form.  But you may need to present a medical or eyesight certificate.

You must declare any medical conditions

You have to complete a medical declaration when you complete any driver licence application form. This asks you to declare any conditions that may affect your ability to drive safely, including:

If you answer 'yes' to any of these you may need to provide a medical or eyesight certificate.

You may need to present a medical certificate

You'll need to present a medical certificate when:

  • applying for or renewing a heavy vehicle licence (class 2,3,4,5), unless you've provided a certificate within the last five years*
  • applying for or renewing endorsements for passengers (P), vehicle recovery services (V), driving instruction (I) or testing officer (O) unless you've provided a certificate within the last five years*
  • you have a medical condition that may affect your ability to drive safely
  • you're an older driver obtaining or renewing any licence class or endorsement beyond your 75th birthday
  • we ask you to provide one.

*The medical certificate must have been provided for the same medical standard that you are now applying for:

  • Private classes: class 1 or 6 licence and D, F, R, T or W endorsements have the same medical standards
  • Commercial classes: classes 2, 3, 4, 5 and P, V, I and O endorsements have the same medical standards. 

The medical certificate must meet certain requirements

A New Zealand-registered medical practitioner must complete your medical certificate. Ask your doctor to complete a Transport Agency medical certificate for you. Your doctor will have copies.

The certificate:

  • must be no more than 60 days old
  • either state that you are safe to drive, or set out the conditions under which you can drive safely.

You are responsible for the cost of getting your certificate. The cost varies from doctor to doctor.

Sometimes an occupational therapist check is required

Where a doctor has concerns over whether you're medically fit to drive the classes or endorsements you're applying for, they commonly seek a second opinion. They may refer you to an occupational therapist for a driving assessment.

This assessment involves an approximately two-hour off-road assessment, which may be followed by a 50–60-minute on-road assessment. 

See what's involved in an occupational therapy assessment

The therapist then sends a report back to your doctor. When issuing your medical certificate, your doctor will take the therapist's report into consideration – for example they may recommend you only drive vehicles with an automatic transmission.

Medical practitioners

More information for medical practitioners

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution New Zealand Licence