This page tells you who can drive on New Zealand roads, and what you need to have while driving.
Who can drive on New Zealand roads
You can drive in New Zealand if:
- you have a current and valid overseas licence or driver permit, and
- you haven’t been given a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand, and
- you came into New Zealand less than 12 months ago, and
- your overseas licence is in English, or you have an accurate translation, and
- you haven’t been granted a New Zealand driver licence since you last entered New Zealand.
If you don't meet all of these requirements, you must apply for a New Zealand driver licence to drive in New Zealand.
Find out how to get a New Zealand licence if you don’t meet the criteria
There is a time limit on how long you can drive here
You can drive for a maximum period of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand.
Each time you arrive in New Zealand you can drive for a further 12-month period.
You must know the New Zealand road rules
All drivers must know the road rules, what the road signs mean and how to drive safely. You can find out more in The official New Zealand road code.
Look at the Road code online
Test your knowledge of the New Zealand Road code on the Practice website (external link)
Read a copy of Driving in New Zealand
Here for more than a year? Convert to a New Zealand licence
If you'll be in New Zealand for more than a year, you need to obtain a New Zealand driver licence. If your overseas licence is still current or has expired less than 12 months ago you can apply to convert it to a New Zealand licence.
Find out how to convert an overseas licence to a New Zealand driver licence
Tips for driving in New Zealand
New Zealand road rules and driving behaviours may be different to those in your home country. For example:
- we drive on the left side of the road
- we have many hilly, narrow or windy roads that mean your journey may take longer than you expect
- you must carry your driver licence on you at all times. If your licence is not in English, you must carry a translation from an approved translator.
Find an approved translator
Download Factsheet 56: New residents and visitors – driving in New Zealand [PDF, 74 KB]