You must renew your driver licence on or before its expiry date if you wish to continue driving – but you cannot renew it more than six months in advance.
We’ll send you a driver licence renewal pack in the mail about six weeks before your licence is due to expire. Haven’t received your pack? You can download an Application for driver licence form (DL1), or get this form from any driver licensing agent.
To apply to renew your licence you need to visit a driver licensing agent in person.
You need to take:
- a completed application form. Use either:
- the Application for renewal of driver licence (form DL1R) that is mailed to you shortly before your licence is due to expire, or
- an Application for driver licence form (DL1) (either download this form, or get a copy from any driver licensing agent).
- a current medical certificate issued by your doctor within the last 60 days
- your current photo driver licence or other acceptable evidence of your identity
- confirmation of your address, such as a recent bank statement
- a cheque, cash or EFTPOS card to pay for your new licence. Some agents also accept credit cards. If you pay by cheque, there may be a delay while it’s cleared.
Once your application is complete, you’ll receive a temporary licence which is valid for 21 days. Keep this on you whenever you’re driving until your new driver licence arrives in the mail – within two to three weeks.
Find about more about the licence renewal process.
The On-road Safety Test checks that you still have a good knowledge of the road rules and continue to practise safe driving skills. It takes about 30 minutes.
The testing officer will direct you when to turn, stop and carry out other driving manoeuvres. There are no fixed routes - you must be capable of driving on all types of road and in all traffic situations.
You must drive safely and legally throughout the assessment. The testing officer will score you using a simple 'yes' and 'no' method. You need to get a total score of 80 percent or more to pass the safety test.
Have to sit the On-road Safety Test?
There are a few things you can do to prepare for your test.
Ready to book your On-road Safety Test?
Book over the phone using a credit card by calling 0800 822 422, or visit your nearest driver licensing agent. Find your nearest agent.
The licence renewal application fee is $18.70.
If you have to sit the On-road Safety Test you also need to pay a test fee of $41.80. The combined cost of the application and test is $60.50.
If you don’t pass the On-road Safety Test, you can re-book the test one more time at no cost. However, you’ll have to pay the additional fee of $41.80 each time for any further re-bookings.