Industry code of practice
On behalf of the road construction industry, we manage the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM), which provides best practice guidance for:
- enabling road users to negotiate works sites safely
- protecting road workers.
It includes information on:
- planning works or an event
- traffic management training
- laying out a site or managing a mobile activity.
Regular updates and revisions to CoPTTM are agreed at industry workshops.
Activities that change a road's normal operating conditions may require planned temporary traffic management and sign-off from the relevant road controlling authority. These activities include:
- road works
- sewer connections
- manhole inspections
- tree felling within two tree lengths of the road
- major sports or cultural events using the road
- any other community events using the road.
For advice on your activity, contact your local NZ Transport Agency office.
Also check the CoPTTM, which provides guidance on planning an event involving the road.
Learn about what we're doing to make state highways safer for all road users by: