To provide two modern two-lane bridges across the Waitaki River linking State Highway 82 with Kurow, on the south bank, and Hakataramea on the north bank.
The new bridges will have a cycle-pedestrian path on the downstream side and will provide a dependable alternative route if State Highway 1 at the Waitaki River Bridge is closed. State Highway 82 offers the only handy alternative route for motorists to reach destinations north and south of the Waitaki River. Without these bridges motorists using SH1 would face lengthy detours via the Mackenzie District.
- Maintain an alternative route for SH1 traffic in case of emergencies, such as crashes or floods that close SH1 or make it impassable.
- To provide route security along SH82 between Kurow and Waimate.
- Improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians using the bridges.
- Protect the community cohesion between Kurow and the Hakataramea Valley, which has existed since the bridges were built in 1881.
- Ensure residents in the Hakataramea area have access to essential services and employment in Kurow.
- Increase the capacity for over-sized vehicles, such as agricultural machinery and freight, to use SH82 rather than detour to use SH1.
- Two new two-lane bridges.
- Improved and realigned approaches from both banks.
- A barrier separated walkway for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Upgraded river protection works.
What happens next?
The new bridges being built by McConnell Dowell Constructors Ltd are programmed to open in late 2014.
Second Waitaki Bridge opens at Kurow
9 June 2014
The Waitaki Valley community turned out in force today (Saturday 7 June) to celebrate the opening of the second and last of the two new bridges that the NZ Transport Agency has built over the Waitaki River on State Highway 82.
Special banger to celebrate bridge opening
4 June 2014
A special banger is being made to celebrate this Saturday’s (June 7) opening of the second bridge being built over the Waitaki River on State Highway 82 by the NZ Transport Agency.
Final stage of construction underway for last Waitaki bridge
30 May 2014
With this week’s final pour of the concrete deck for the second of the new bridges being built over the Waitaki River at Kurow, the final stages of its construction are now underway.
Second Waitaki bridge to open in three weeks
19 May 2014
The second of the two new bridges being built by the NZ Transport Agency over the Waitaki River on State Highway 82 at Kurow will be officially opened in three weeks – ahead of schedule.
First new Waitaki bridge opens at Kurow
4 April 2014
The first of the two new bridges being built by the NZ Transport Agency over the Waitaki River on State Highway 82 at Kurow was opened this morning by Waitaki MP Jacqui Dean.
First of new Waitaki bridges to open
14 March 2014
The first of the two new bridges being built by the NZ Transport Agency over the Waitaki River on State Highway 82 at Kurow will be officially opened on Friday 4 April.
First new Waitaki bridge scheduled to open within four months
6 December 2013
The first of the two new bridges being built over the Waitaki River at Kurow is scheduled to open in March next year, a year after work began on the $20.1 million project.