To provide two modern two-lane bridges across the Waitaki River linking State Highway 82 with Kurow, on the south bank, and Hakataramea on the north bank.
The new bridges will have a cycle-pedestrian path on the downstream side and will provide a dependable alternative route if State Highway 1 at the Waitaki River Bridge is closed. State Highway 82 offers the only handy alternative route for motorists to reach destinations north and south of the Waitaki River. Without these bridges motorists using SH1 would face lengthy detours via the Mackenzie District.
- Maintain an alternative route for SH1 traffic in case of emergencies, such as crashes or floods that close SH1 or make it impassable.
- To provide route security along SH82 between Kurow and Waimate.
- Improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians using the bridges.
- Protect the community cohesion between Kurow and the Hakataramea Valley, which has existed since the bridges were built in 1881.
- Ensure residents in the Hakataramea area have access to essential services and employment in Kurow.
- Increase the capacity for over-sized vehicles, such as agricultural machinery and freight, to use SH82 rather than detour to use SH1.
- Two new two-lane bridges.
- Improved and realigned approaches from both banks.
- A barrier separated walkway for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Upgraded river protection works.