To provide two modern two-lane bridges across the Waitaki River linking State Highway 82 with Kurow, on the south bank, and Hakataramea on the north bank.
The new bridges will have a cycle-pedestrian path on the downstream side and will provide a dependable alternative route if State Highway 1 at the Waitaki River Bridge is closed. State Highway 82 offers the only handy alternative route for motorists to reach destinations north and south of the Waitaki River. Without these bridges motorists using SH1 would face lengthy detours via the Mackenzie District.
- Maintain an alternative route for SH1 traffic in case of emergencies, such as crashes or floods that close SH1 or make it impassable.
- To provide route security along SH82 between Kurow and Waimate.
- Improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians using the bridges.
- Protect the community cohesion between Kurow and the Hakataramea Valley, which has existed since the bridges were built in 1881.
- Ensure residents in the Hakataramea area have access to essential services and employment in Kurow.
- Increase the capacity for over-sized vehicles, such as agricultural machinery and freight, to use SH82 rather than detour to use SH1.
- Two new two-lane bridges.
- Improved and realigned approaches from both banks.
- A barrier separated walkway for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Upgraded river protection works.
What happens next?
The new bridges being built by McConnell Dowell Constructors Ltd are programmed to open in late 2014.
Weathered steel gives bridges rustic look
4 November 2013
When construction of the girders for the decks of the new $20.1 million Waitaki Bridges begins this month, locals could be forgiven for thinking the bridges are being built from recycled "rusty" steel.
Work progressing on the second of the new Waitaki Bridges
3 October 2013
Work begins today (3 October) driving the second of the piles for the larger of the two new Waitaki Bridges being built on State Highway 82 between Kurow and Hakataramea.
Good progress being made on new Waitaki Bridges
22 August 2013
Good progress is being made on construction of the first of the two new two-lane bridges being built across the Waitaki River between Kurow and Hakataramea.
Second pile being driven for new Waitaki Bridges
11 June 2013
Work will begin tomorrow (Wednesday 12 June) driving the second pile for the first of the two new Waitaki Bridges at Kurow.
First pile being driven for new Waitaki Bridges
10 May 2013
Work begins Monday (13 May) driving the first pile for the two new Waitaki Bridges at Kurow.
Machinery moves on site at Waitaki Bridges
26 March 2013
Machinery has this morning moved on site at the Waitaki Bridges to begin setting up the site ready for work to start on Monday 8 April building the new bridges on State Highway 82 between Kurow and Hakataramea.
First sod turned for new Waitaki Bridges
7 March 2013
The first sod was today (7 March) turned in the construction of the two new bridges which will span the Waitaki River on State Highway 82 between Kurow and Hakataramea.
Local community invited to celebrate start of new Waitaki Bridges
15 February 2013
The Lower Waitaki Valley communities of Kurow and Hakataramea are being invited to celebrate the construction of two new bridges on State Highway 82 over the Waitaki River by attending next month's sod turning.
Historic Waitaki Bridges to be preserved
13 February 2013
Two 12-metre sections of the historic wooden Howe Truss Bridges over the Waitaki River on State Highway 82 near Kurow are to be preserved for public display.
Work begins on replacement $18.5 million Waitaki Bridges
11 February 2013
Work will begin early next month building the new $18.5 million replacement Waitaki Bridges.
Construction start confirmed for new Waitaki Bridges
11 September 2012
The NZ Transport Agency has confirmed that construction of the replacement Waitaki Bridges on State Highway 82 at Kurow will get underway early next year, with work on site expected to commence in January 2013.