To provide a continuous divided four-lane highway between Auckland and Cambridge that will improve safety and reduce travel times and congestion on State Highway 1.
The Waikato Expressway will:
- reduce travel times between Auckland and Tirau by 35 minutes
- significantly reduce the number of fatal and serious injury crashes
- increase the highway's capacity and passing opportunities
- reduce traffic congestion within smaller communities like Huntly, Ngaruawahia and Cambridge
- reduce fuel costs route and contribute to economic growth.
The route generally follows the existing State Highway from Mercer south to Ohinewai, and then is mostly a greenfields project. The exceptions to this are the Longswamp to Te Kauwhata section at the north of the Expressway route, and around Tamahere on the Cambridge section in the south.
*Estimated cost is $2.1 billion.