- Realigning the route to reduce sharp curves and steep gradients
- Adding right turn bays
- Adding uphill pull-over bays for heavy vehicles
- Widening and sealing the road shoulders
- Protecting and relocating services including power and fibre optic cables
- Improved motorist safety
- Reduced driver frustration with more passing opportunities
- More reliable trip times for industry
- Improved cyclist safety by creating more passing room
- Extensive revegetation with 45,000 locally grown plants
SH10 Bulls Gorge passes through the Puketona Scenic Reserve, home to a tributary of the Waitangi River and significant regional flora and fauna.
NZTA and its partners Northern Civil and Transfield Services have worked closely with staff from the Department of Conservation on a management plan to monitor and protect local fish and kiwis living near the construction area.
Fish friendly measures:
- The tributary will be realigned and banks replanted, away from the road and construction
- Three native fish species – koura (freshwater crayfish), banded kokopu and long-finned eel will be carefully relocated downstream during construction
- A new fish friendly culvert will be built to give juvenile fish safe passage upstream to spawn
Protecting our national icon:
- Extensive monitoring by the project team found 10 North Island Brown Kiwis living in the Puketona Scenic Reserve
- Small transmitters have been attached to their legs to check their location each morning
- Any kiwis found near construction activity will be carefully moved or work reprogrammed for another area
- Best practice around daily kiwi monitoring was established during logging in the Waitangi Forest
NZ Transport Agency has appointed Transfield Services to deliver the improvements, overseen by Northern Civil Consulting Engineers in Whangarei.
For more information on Transfield Services, please visit http://www.transfieldservices.com/page/Regional_Operations/ANZ (external link)
For more information on Northern Civil Consulting Engineers, please visit www.northerncivil.com (external link) .