When you make an application for a transport service licence, you must list everyone that will be a 'person in control' of the transport service. 

What is a person in control?

A person in control is anyone who has direct or indirect control of any part of the management of the transport service. 

For example shareholders, company directors, or someone holding a management position that gives the person significant influence on the operation of any part of the service. 

A full definition of 'control' is available in section 2 of the Land Transport Act 1998.

Read section 2 of the Land Transport Act 1998(external link)

Examples of persons in control

More examples of persons in control could be: 

  • Any manager that has influence over day-to-day running of the business
  • Directors
  • Fleet manager
  • Owner
  • Anyone that has day-to-day control over the business
  • Transport manager.

Details of each person in control

When you make your application for a transport service licence, you'll need to provide details for ALL persons in control of the service. 

Each person will need to complete a Personal details supporting an application for transport service licence form (TL02) and submit it with the transport service licence application at an agent. 

Download a TL02 form  [PDF, 83 KB]

Evidence of identity

Each person in control must also provide evidence of identify with their TL02 form. 

This can be either: 

  • their New Zealand photo driver licence, or
  • their passport. 

These can be current or expired up to two years. 

With the application they need to provide either:

  • a certified copy* of their evidence of identity, or 
  • a photocopy of their evidence of identity AND their original driver licence or passport to present to the agent. 

*A certified copy needs to be stamped or endorsed by a person who confirms that the copy is a true copy of the original document. This can be a:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Solicitor of the High Court
  • Notary Public
  • Deputy Registrar at a court (not all courts will be able to certify copies). 

Fit and proper person check (vetting)

All Persons in control are checked by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency to make sure they meet our fit and proper person criteria. This is part of our ongoing commitment to road safety and improving driving standards on our roads.

We use real-time monitoring to make sure they continue to meet the criteria. We must be satisfied they are a fit and proper person. 

The fit and proper person check includes:

  • transport-related offences – especially safety
  • serious behaviour problems
  • past complaints about their work in a transport service
  • not paying fines for transport-related offences
  • criminal offending in New Zealand or overseas, including charges and convictions for violence or sexual offences, drugs or firearms offences, or organised criminal activities.

We also consider any information, from any source, relevant to their status as a fit and proper person. 

There's a vetting fee of $9.70 for each person in control of the service. This must be paid when you submit your TL02 form. 

Fit and proper person

Change of persons in control

If there is a change in the persons in control of your transport service, you must let us know within 14 days. 

Adding new persons in control

If you're adding new persons in control to your transport service, each person will need to complete a TL02 form and pay a vetting fee of $9.70.

Download a TL02 form [PDF, 83 KB]

Call us on 0800 822 422 to pay the vetting fee over the phone. We're open Monday to Friday 8am to 5.30pm. 

Once you've made the payment and we've given you a reference number, you'll need to complete a Notification to add a person in control of transport service licence form. 

Add persons in control

Removing persons in control 

A current person in control of the transport service licence needs to complete a Notification to remove person in control of transport service licence form.

Remove persons in control

Change of address

If the place where you operate your transport service licence has changed, or if your postal or email address changes, you need to let us know straight away. 

Change your transport service licence address online