CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

Transport service licence labels

You must have a transport service licence (TSL) to operate a goods service, large or small passenger service, vehicle recovery service or rental service. The licence shows that you are 'fit' to operate such a service and have the required knowledge of the laws and practices relating to the safe and proper operation of a transport service.

As evidence that you're a TSL holder, your vehicle must display a TSL label.

Find out more about transport service licences

Displaying TSL labels

These vehicles need to display TSL labels:

  • small passenger service vehicles

  • vehicles used in vehicle recovery services (towing)

  • goods service vehicles with a gross vehicle mass of 6000 kilograms or more

  • large passenger service vehicles.

TSL labels are not required on trailers.

What a TSL label looks like

Transport service licence label

Where to display your TSL label

The way that you display your TSL label on your vehicle depends on the type of vehicle you use.

Passenger service vehicles* and vehicle recovery service vehicles (tow trucks) must display TSL labels on the inside of the windscreen, as close as practicable to the bottom of the passenger’s side.

Goods service vehicles must display TSL labels as described above, or in the window behind the passenger seat.

If you need to get additional or replacement labels please call our contact centre.

*Dial-a-driver services and facilitated cost-sharing services must have a TSL, but don't need to display the label in their vehicles.