This is a summary of the Driver Check terms and conditions.
If you're a Driver Check user or applying to become a user, please make sure you carefully read the full terms and conditions in Applying to use Driver Check (the application pack).
Read Applying to use Driver Check
- These terms and conditions form the agreement between the user (you) and the provider of these services (Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency).
- This agreement is governed by New Zealand law.
- By signing this agreement, you acknowledge and agree to these terms and conditions.
- If you don't meet the terms of this agreement, you'll be liable for any loss we suffer that's caused by your breach of this agreement.
- We can immediately withdraw Driver Check services from anyone who fails to meet the terms of this agreement, or abuses the service in any way.
Driver Check service
- Information within Driver Check is gathered through or from parties other than Waka Kotahi. We don't accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy or content of the information on Driver Check.
- There may be interruptions to the Driver Check service from time to time (eg interruptions from an internet service provider or information technology (IT) provider). These interruptions are beyond our control, and are part of having a service provided online.
- We aim to provide a secure and reliable Driver Check service online. If IT systems change significantly and make the Driver Check service no longer functional, we’ll aim to provide a replacement Driver Check service online within two months.
- We won’t, under any circumstance, compensate you for any loss, injury or damage caused directly or indirectly by:
- us supplying Driver Check to you
- the way you operate Driver Check
- the way you fail to operate Driver Check.
- You’re responsible for the accuracy and completeness of all information submitted by you, and for making sure that information is kept up-to-date, when using Driver Check.
- You must provide, for each licence holder inquiry you make, either:
- the licence holder’s licence number, version number and last name (family name), or
- the licence holder’s full name and date of birth.
- We’ll let you know as soon as possible when any of your linked licence holders:
- have a licence or endorsement that expires
- have a licence that is revoked or suspended
- are disqualified from driving
- have any other change to their licence status.
- We’ll let you know by sending you an email or creating an online notification for you on the Driver Check website.
Charges and fees
- We’ll provide a tax invoice/direct debit notification, detailing the charges due and the date the amount will be direct debited from your account.
- You'll pay these charges:
||$1.55 per licence holder, per year (charged at the start of the calendar year)
||$1.55 per inquiry
|Add a licence holder
||$1.55 per licence holder
||$11.10 per search
|Remove a licence holder
||$1.55 per licence holder
- You must pay all charges under this agreement by direct debit.
- If you repeat any individual licence inquiry (whether by accident or on purpose), you'll pay for each inquiry.
- If either party ends the agreement at any time, you'll pay any and all outstanding charges.
- We may review the charges at any time. We'll give you 30 days' notice in writing by email of any changes to the fees and charges.
- You're responsible for all internet access charges from your internet service provider.
Access, assignment and termination
- We may extend our rights and responsibilities under this contract to another party, but will give you no less than 30 days’ notice in writing.
- Either party may end this agreement by giving no less than 30 days’ notice, or agreement by both parties, in writing by email to:
- We may end this agreement by notice to your email address immediately if you breach this agreement.
- We may determine what amounts to:
- a breach of this agreement
- failure to meet the terms of this agreement
- an abuse of the service.
- Ending this agreement won’t release either party from liability for previous breaches or money owing for the period up to the end of this agreement.
Protection and use of information
- You must take all reasonable security measures, including your own computer anti-virus measures, to stop any unauthorised use of, and access to, Driver Check services. If you don’t keep your access to Driver Check secure, you may be liable for any related loss we suffer as a result of a security breach. We reserve the right to determine what amounts to a security breach.
- You agree that, before you access a licence holder’s licence status, you will have that licence holder’s signed consent. You must get that consent by using the consent form on page 15 of the application pack.
- You must keep the original signed consent form, or other approved record of consent, and provide it to us if we request it. We may request it if we perform an audit on your organisation to make sure you’re meeting the terms of this agreement.
- You must meet the requirements in the Privacy Act 2020 and other relevant laws when you collect, disclose and use personal information. In particular, you must follow the information privacy principles set out in section 22 of the Privacy Act 2020. For more information on your privacy obligations, please see www.privacy.org.nz(external link)