COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information for all alert levels, Waka Kotahi services and more

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

If you’re convicted by the courts (under section 65AC of the Land Transport Act 1998) for driving offences involving alcohol, you’ll be given an alcohol interlock disqualification and will need to get an alcohol interlock device installed in your vehicle. 

Find out more about alcohol interlocks

Waka Kotahi may grant you subsidy assistance for some alcohol interlock costs if your financial circumstances qualify you for a subsidy.

Who can get a subsidy?

You may be eligible for a subsidy if:

  • your alcohol interlock sentence was issued since 1 July 2018 and
  • you meet the financial eligibility criteria.

Proving you're eligible for the subsidy

To prove you meet the eligibility criteria, you can either:

  • provide a signed and witnessed Statutory declaration in respect of application for alcohol interlock subsidy form (DL27) when you make your application for an alcohol interlock licence, or
  • show your Community Services Card to the agent when you make your application.

Statutory declaration in respect of application for alcohol interlock subsidy form (DL27 form) [PDF, 75 KB]

If your circumstances change after you make your application and you become eligible later, you'll need to provide your proof directly to Waka Kotahi.

How to provide your proof to Waka Kotahi

What the subsidy covers

If you’re granted subsidy assistance, you won’t have to pay for:

  • the first alcohol interlock licence
  • installation of the alcohol interlock device in one vehicle
  • part of the monthly servicing fees ($50 subsidised a month)
  • removal of the alcohol interlock device
  • the first zero alcohol licence, providing you exit the alcohol interlock programme within 15 months.

Note: these subsidies apply only if the costs occur within 15 months of the alcohol interlock licence application date.

If you miss more than one monthly service in a row, your subsidy may stop. Contact your provider straight away if you think you might not be able to get to your monthly services.

Subsidy eligibility

You’re eligible for a subsidy* if you're:

  • entitled to receive sole parent support, a supported living payment, a community wage, an emergency benefit, veteran’s pension, youth payment or young parent payment, or
  • entitled to receive weekly income compensation under the Veterans’ Support Act 2014, or
  • your family or superannuation income is within the limits listed below:
If your household is: then your yearly income (before tax) can be up to:
Single – living with others $27,909
Single – living alone $29,618
Married, civil union or de facto couple – no children $44,290
NZ Superannuation single – living with others $29,677
NZ Superannuation single – living alone $31,568
NZ Superannuation married, civil union or de facto couple – no children $47,378
Family of 2 $54,098
Family of 3 $66,589
Family of 4 $76,822
Family of 5 $86,873
Family of 6 $97,937
For families of more than 6, the limit goes up another $9926 for each extra person.

*This is the same as eligibility for a Community Services Card. If you have any questions about Community Services Card eligibility, please contact the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 999 999.

Note: the subsidy covers only the first alcohol interlock licence. Any subsequent alcohol interlock licence would need to be paid.

Can I get a subsidy if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change during your sentence and you now meet the financial eligibility criteria, you may be eligible to have the rest of your alcohol interlock costs subsidised.

You must provide a witnessed Statutory declaration in respect of application for alcohol interlock subsidy form (DL27), or a clear certified copy of your Community Services Card.

Statutory declaration in respect of application for alcohol interlock subsidy form (DL27) [PDF, 75 KB]
Upload your statutory declaration or community services card

If you prefer, you can email us your proof, or post it to us at:

Alcohol Interlock Statutory Declarations
Waka Kotahi
Private Bag 11777
Palmerston North 4442.

Remember to include your full name, driver licence number, contact phone number and the name of the Alcohol Interlock Device (AID) provider you're with.