CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

If you are convicted by the courts (under section 65 of the Land Transport Act 1998 or section 30A of the Transport Act 1962) for repeat driving offences involving drugs or alcohol, you will be indefinitely disqualified. You’ll have to prove you’ve dealt with your drug or alcohol problem before you can apply to have your indefinite disqualification ended. 

Step 1: Go to an approved drug and alcohol assessment centre 

If you received a letter from the Transport Agency about getting your licence back, take it with you to the assessment centre. 

After assessing you, the assessment centre will prepare a report on how well you’re managing your drug or alcohol problem. The assessment centre will send a copy of that report to the Transport Agency. 

Find an approved drug and alcohol assessment centre in your area

Step 2: Apply to have your indefinite disqualification ended 

Write to:

Medical Section
NZ Transport Agency
Private Bag 11777
Palmerston North 4442.

Say in the letter that you’re asking for your indefinite disqualification to end.

The Transport Agency will look at your letter and the assessment centre’s report, along with any other information that might be relevant. 

If you have served the minimum disqualification period of 1 year and 1 day, and the Transport Agency is satisfied that you’re managing your drug and/or alcohol problems and that you are fit to hold a licence again, you’ll be sent a letter confirming this, and telling you how to reinstate your driver licence. 

Step 3: Apply for your licence to be reinstated and sit and pass the driver licence tests 

After the Transport Agency has ended your indefinite disqualification, you will be unlicensed and not entitled to drive until you have reinstated your licence. 

Find out how to reinstate your licence

Download Factsheet 55: Driving offences and penalties [PDF, 76 KB]