Any driver licence card you held at the time of your suspension or disqualification has been permanently cancelled (whether it has been surrendered or not) and is no longer valid. At the end of your suspension/disqualification, you need to visit a driver licensing agent and apply to reinstate or requalify your licence.

Reinstating your licence 

At the end of a disqualification or suspension (other than 28-day roadside suspensions) or when your zero alcohol licence expires you will be unlicensed and are not entitled to drive until you have applied at a driver licensing agent to have your licence reinstated and a new licence has been issued. Any licence card held by you at the time of your suspension or disqualification will have been permanently cancelled. 

To get your licence back, you must apply at a driver licensing agent

You will need to:

If you were disqualified for more than 12 months, you will also need to pass the appropriate tests (and pay the test fees) to regain the licence class(es) you held previously. 

More information about disqualifications over 12 months

Indefinite disqualification

If you were indefinitely disqualified after convictions for repeat driving offences involving drugs or alcohol, you will be required to prove you’ve dealt with your drug or alcohol problem before reinstating your licence. 

How to get your licence back after an indefinite disqualification

Consequences if you drive

If you drive after your suspension or disqualification has ended, but before your licence has been reinstated, you could be fined and forbidden to drive. If you then continue to drive without reinstating your licence, you could be charged with driving while forbidden and the vehicle impounded. 

Learn about roadside vehicle impoundment

Disqualifications exceeding 1 year

If you were disqualified from driving for a continuous period of more than 1 year, you will also have to pass tests to requalify your licence classes when you apply to reinstate your licence. 

If you had a car licence (class 1) or motorcycle licence (class 6), you’ll have to pass the appropriate theory and practical tests (and pay the appropriate fees) to requalify your licence. If you had both a car and a motorcycle licence, and you want both again, you’ll have to pass theory and practical tests for each of them.

If you had a heavy vehicle licence (classes 2–5), you only sit theory and practical tests (and pay the appropriate fees) for the highest class to regain all the lower licence classes previously held. For example, the holder of a class 5 licence won’t have to sit the tests for classes 1–4, just the theory and practical tests for class 5. You can choose to complete an approved course instead of passing tests.

If you have successfully completed a theory test but have still to sit practical test, you will be issued with a licence with a supervisor condition. The supervisor condition will remain until you have passed your practical test.

Who can be a supervisor
How much will you pay for theory and practical tests