If you drive a bus, taxi, shuttle or any kind of passenger service vehicle, there are things you must do. This page contains information about when a passenger endorsement might be required, and information about carrying passengers. 

A passenger endorsement is required

If you drive a bus, taxi or shuttle, you must have a passenger endorsement.

If you drive any other type of passenger service vehicle, and you receive money or some sort of reward for driving the vehicle, then you also need a passenger endorsement.

What counts as a passenger service vehicle?

You also need a passenger endorsement if the passenger owns the vehicle but you receive any kind of reward to drive it, like a dial-a-driver service. 

You might not need an endorsement if you're a volunteer, driving for a charity or carpooling

In some circumstances, you may not need a passenger endorsement when carrying passengers. For example, if you're a volunteer driver, if you are driving for a charity, or when you are carpooling to work. 

See the full range of activities that may not require a passenger endorsement

Getting a passenger endorsement

To get a passenger endorsement, you must make an application at a driver licensing agent. Waka Kotahi will then check whether you are a ‘fit and proper’ person to be driving passengers.

The full process for getting a passenger endorsement

Transport service licence required

You must hold a transport service licence to operate a passenger service.

All you need to know about transport service licences

Your vehicle must meet certain standards

Your vehicle must meet all the standards set out in the Land Transport Rule: Passenger Service Vehicles 1999.

See the standards that a passenger service vehicle must meet

Both driver and passenger have rights and responsibilities

Both you and your passengers have rights and responsibilities when it comes to a passenger service.

The rights and responsibilities involved in passenger services