Skip to content

CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) SERVICES UPDATE: Find out about services open under Alert Level 1. Please note, we are currently experiencing higher than normal volumes of work so please be patient as our teams work at reduced capacity. More information on our services

SCAM ALERT: vehicle licence (rego) renewal or tolling payment phishing emails

Access keys for

  • h Home
  • m Menu
  • 0 Show list of access keys
  • 2 Skip to content
  • 3 Skip to top

Driving instructors and testing officers

If you earn money teaching people to drive or you test peoples' driving skills, you must have the appropriate endorsement on your driver licence. These endorsements simply verify that the licence holder has proven skills to offer these services. 

Where driver instructor endorsement requirements apply

If you teach people how to drive on a road for some form of payment, you must have a driving instructor endorsement on your driver licence. This is called an ‘I’ endorsement.

Find out how to apply for an I endorsement

Where testing officer endorsement requirements apply

To conduct practical driving tests, you must have a testing officer endorsement. This is called an 'O' endorsement.

You must also be employed or contracted by one of the following:

  • Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ)
  • NZ Defence Force
  • NZ Transport Agency.

Find out how to apply for an O endorsement