COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

If you drive any type of vehicle involved in a towing service, your driver licence must include a current vehicle recovery (V) endorsement. This simply verifies that you have the knowledge and skills to provide this service safely.

Where vehicle recovery endorsement requirements apply

Generally you need a vehicle recovery endorsement where you provide a towing service for a reward of some form.

This requirement doesn’t apply to:

  • towing or carrying a motorcycle or moped
  • towing or carrying your own vehicle
  • towing or carrying of one motor vehicle without reward, when the towing or carrying vehicle is not designed or adapted for this purpose.
  • towing of disabled vehicles using a rope or flat tow by someone contracted by an insurance company or employed by a garage or workshop.

There are other exceptions, including towing undertaken by the NZ Defence Force.

Find out more about the exceptions, and how to get a V endorsement