If you're applying for a new passenger endorsement, you’ll need to provide official documents from each country you’ve lived in for more than 12 continuous months since the age of 14.

You’ll need:

  • police records of any criminal history or complaints, and

  • traffic records of any infringements or fines,


  • confirmation that you have no police or traffic records.

Document requirements

The documents must include your most recent travel. They must be from your country of origin AND any other country you’ve lived in for more than 12 months at a time. They must be authorised by the relevant authority such as an embassy, consulate, or other approved government agency. In some countries, you may need to apply to separate agencies for traffic and criminal documents.

The documents should include your full name, date of birth, passport number and/or identity number. If we can’t easily match the details on your foreign documentation to the details on your application, there could be delays in processing your application.

If the documents aren’t in English, they must be translated into English by an authorised translator.

Getting the documents

Getting these documents is your responsibility and at your cost. This may affect the time taken for application processing. Waka Kotahi has no influence over these issues.

Useful information about common countries and timeframes

How to supply the documents

You must provide certified copies with the form when you apply at the agent. If you don’t, your application won’t be accepted.

If you’ve already provided documents to Immigration New Zealand, you may be able to supply them again to us. If you don’t have copies of the documents, contact Immigration New Zealand.

Common countries you may need documentation from

Country Contact details Average timeframe

Australian Federal Police
www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks(external link)

For Traffic Offence History please contact the State Authority

Approximately 20 working days

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en(external link)

Approximately six months

Fiji Police Force
www.police.gov.fj(external link)

Approximately three months

High Commission of India
www.hciwellington.gov.in(external link)

Approximately 20 working days

Consulate General Of Japan
www.auckland.nz.emb-japan.go.jp(external link)

Approximately six months

Land Transportation Office
lto.gov.ph(external link)

Approximately six months

Ministry of Police and Prison
Email: consulgeneral@samoaconsulate.org.nz

Approximately three months
South Africa

South African Police Service
www.sahc.org.au(external link)

Approximately six months
United Kingdom (including Scotland, Wales, Ireland)

ACRO Criminal Records Office
www.acro.police.uk(external link)

DVLA (Traffic)
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence(external link)

Approximately 20 working days
United States of America

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks(external link)

For Traffic Offence History please contact the State Authority

Approximately six months

For any other country that isn't listed above please contact the Embassy or Consulate General of the relevant country. See a list of embassies in New Zealand(external link).

For some countries the time frame for obtaining these documents can take up to six months.