If you have a valid overseas car driver licence you can convert it to a New Zealand car driver licence. 

A valid overseas driver licence means that your licence:

  • must be either current or expired within the last 12 months, and
  • must not be suspended, disqualified or revoked in the country of issue.

What you need to do to convert

The process to convert your licence depends on which country your licence is from. 

Some countries* require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand’s. These countries are considered exempt countries:

Australia France Japan South Korea
Austria Germany Luxembourg Spain
Belgium Greece Netherlands Sweden
Canada Hong Kong* Norway Switzerland
Denmark Ireland Portugal United Kingdom
Finland Italy South Africa United States of America
*Hong Kong is recognised as a Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.

If your licence is not from one of the countries above, then your licence is from a non-exempt country.