Bad weather continues to affect the status of state highways across the upper North Island.
Contractors are working hard to restore access, but a number of key routes remain closed this morning. Because of the extreme and dangerous weather conditions, there was limited work road crews could do overnight.
Previous closures on State Highway 16 have been resolved and this route is now open. Contractors have also cleared the slip that closed State Highway 1 at Dome Valley.
The under construction Puhoi and Warkworth motorway was used overnight to divert traffic and help drivers away from flooded areas and closed roads. This was a temporary and emergency measure.
Drivers must take extra care on the roads and avoid travel where possible in areas badly affected by flooding.
Please check road and weather conditions before your journey.
Waka Kotahi Journey Planner(external link)
Metservice Weather Warnings(external link)
Road users should be prepared for localised flooding, slips, rock and tree falls, and other hazards. Drive to the conditions and watch your speed and following distances. Delays are likely as road crews work to restore state highway routes.
State highway closures
SH1 Orewa to Warkworth, Northbound
- Due to flooding and slips, SH1 is closed between Grand Drive and Warkworth. Expect delays.
SH1 Warkworth to Puhoi
- Due to slips and flooding, SH1 is closed between Woodcocks Road and Grand Drive. Expect delays
SH1 Whangarei to Brynderwyn
- Due to a slip south in the Brynderwyn Hills, SH1 is closed from SH12 intersection to Waipu. Expect delays. Freight and heavy vehicles dhould detour via SH12 – light vehicles via Waipu/Mangawhai
SH1 Mangamuka Gorge
- Due to multiple large slips and dropouts, SH1 is closed between Kitchen Rd and Makene Rd through the Mangamuka Gorge. Please use an alternative route until further notice.
- This is from last year’s weather event. Detour via SH10
SH1 Northern Busway
- Due to flooding and road damage, SH1 Northern Busway is closed. Expect delays.
SH1 Fanshawe St to Curren St (Saint Marys Bay)
- Due to slips, SH1 between Fanshawe St and Curran St Northbound one lane is open. Expect delays.
SH1 Bawden Rd to Greville Rd
- Due to a slip, SH1 between Bawden and Greville Rd Northbound one lane is open. Expect delays.
SH1 SEART off-ramp
- Due to flooding, SH1 SEART Off-ramp southbound is closed. Expect delays.
SH16 Great North Road Off-ramp and Great North
- Due to flooding and slips, SH16 Great North Road off-ramp is closed. Expect delays.
SH25 Thames to Coromandel
- Due to a slip, road is closed between Waiomu and Tapu.
- No detour available
SH25A Kopu to Hikuai
- Due to further cracking at a large washout location, SH25A between Kopu and Hikuai is closed until further notice. Plan ahead and use alternative routes.
- Detour via SH26/SH2
Waka Kotahi apologises for its updates and information about last night’s events not being as timely as they should have been. We know the public wants up to date information as quickly as possible in situations like this and we are sorry we did not meet those expectations.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with:
We have a vision of zero deaths and serious injuries on New Zealand roads. Learn more about: