The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) is warning motorists to expect extended delays resulting from blasting work to improve safety at the Nevis Bluff on SH 6 about midway between Cromwell and Queenstown.
NZTA Area Manager Central Otago John Jarvis says the job involves removing around 400m3 of fractured rock to stabilise an area that has been assessed as posing a potential hazard to road users. This blasting work on the Bluff above the highway is vital to ensure the on-going safety of road users. The difficult terrain where the work is being carried out, mean traffic delays are unavoidable.
Subject to weather conditions, there will be an extended traffic delay between 1:00pm and 2:00pm on Tuesday 2 and Wednesday 3 April 2013 for blasting work.
NZTA Area Manager Central Otago John Jarvis says outside the extended blast delay, work will continue between 8:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday with the highway opening for traffic on the hour every hour during these times. Between the regular hourly openings there will be traffic delays of up to 20 minutes.
There will be no traffic delays from Friday 29 March through until Tuesday 2 April for the Easter holiday period.
The NZTA indicated earlier this month, that these delays would be occurring and regrets any inconvenience to road users and appreciates their patience while this essential safety work is carried out.
This job is expected to be completed by Friday 31 May 2013.
Regular updates on this work are available on www.highwayinfo.govt.nz(external link) or by phoning 0800 44 44 49.