The NZ Transport Agency reminds drivers that the southbound box girder (clip-on) on the Auckland Harbour Bridge will be closed this Sunday morning (3 November) for the annual Auckland marathon.
Six traffic lanes on the bridge – three in each direction - will remain open. However, the Shelly Beach Road and Fanshawe Street off-ramps, together with the Curran Street on-ramp for northbound drivers, will also be closed for the marathon.
“We have worked with marathon organisers to ensure that there is as little disruption to drivers as possible,” says the Transport Agency’s National Journeys Manager, Kathryn Musgrave. “Traffic volumes are light at that time of day, and we’ll have all lanes on the harbour bridge open by 10.30am before traffic starts to get busier.”
This is the first time that marathon competitors will use the southbound or city side of the bridge. Previously they have used the northbound clip-on. Athletes will use the Northern Busway as part of their course before joining the Northern Motorway (State Highway 1) and the harbour bridge south of the Onewa Road interchange.
“Drivers heading south down the Northern Motorway need to be aware of some lane changes to the motorway layout and to take care as they approach the bridge,” Mrs Musgrave says.
Detours will be in place to help motorway drivers. There will also be some disruption to local roads and to public transport due to the marathon and those details are available at www.maxx.co.nz/info/events.aspx(external link)
The southbound lanes on the Auckland Harbour bridge will be closed again the following Sunday, November 10, for the “Bike The Bridge” event, and again in January for an international Ironman 70.3 competition.