Labour Weekend is looming and based on past experience, many people will be on the road Friday afternoon and evening.
For more information, maps of all state highways and the times they are likely to be most congested plus a list of activities near state highways around the Southern Region (ie most of the South Island), read this earlier media statement.(external link)
- Wellington drivers specific information here(external link) including the closure of the northbound passing lane north of Te Horo and the southbound lane north of Ōtaki.
- Waikato and Bay of Plenty drivers advice here(external link) – expect to see traffic supervisors with Stop/Go around the Coromandel Peninsula over the long weekend.
NZ Transport Agency’s top tips for a safe Labour Weekend
- Take the time to check your vehicle is safe before you leave –tyres/ spare tyre, indicators, windshield wipers, lights.
- Allow plenty of time – make your journey part of the holiday.
- Rest stops are important for the driver and passengers.
- If possible, share the driving.
- Many drivers will be on unfamiliar roads,(external link) so please be patient as we are all in this situation at some stage.
For the latest on highway conditions, go to www.highwayinfo.govt.nz(external link), phone the Transport Agency’s 0800 4 HIGHWAYS info line or check the Facebook pages.(external link)