Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises the following works through State Highway 2 (SH2) Tauranga to Waihī, including the Takitimu North Link project between Tauriko and Bethlehem, during the coming weeks.
We hope everyone has been able to enjoy the recent few days of warm weather, it is a great reminder that summer is just around the corner.
We are delighted that the first of six new roundabouts planned between Katikati and Ōmokoroa is now operational at Rea Road / Tetley Road. We want to thank all those who followed the temporary road rules while we completed this essential work, your patience is appreciated.
Current work sites SH2 Waihī to Ōmokoroa:
- Tanners Point Road to Kauri Point Road – Road widening works continue throughout the week. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Rea Road / Tetley Road intersection – There will be intermittent Stop/Go traffic management in place during the day which may cause longer delays, but typically expect minor delays of one to two minutes. There will be Stop/Go traffic management in place during the night, expect delays of five minutes. Due to construction phasing, there are no right turns to either Tetley Road and limited right turn options to Rea Road. Detours routes are available, please follow the signs and directions of the traffic management team.
- Lockington Road / Matahui Road intersection – Services relocations underway. Expect reduced speed limits and minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Morton Road intersection – Roundabout construction continues. Lane shifts and reduced speed limits in place. There will be intermittent Stop/Go in place which may cause longer delays, but typically expect minor delays of one to two minutes. Please follow the temporary signs and directions of the traffic management team.
- Apata Station Rd to Esdaile Road – Lane shifts and reduced speed limits for road widening works. There will be intermittent Stop/Go in place which may cause longer delays, but typically expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
Takitimu North Link works:
- SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road – A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will be in place while our contractor’s crews are working behind the barriers.
- Cambridge Road / Harrison Road – Works will continue behind the barriers. Shoulder closures in place.
- Wairoa Road – Reduced speed of 30km/h continuing. Stop/Stop is in place to allow for large vehicles to cross. If you are driving towards Bethlehem from Wairoa Road, we encourage you to use the underpass at Wairoa Bridge, to avoid a right turn onto SH2.
- Minden Road – Shoulder closure and a reduced speed of 30km/h in place.
Some of the above works are weather dependent and may be postponed in the case of poor weather.
Read more about the current work being done on State Highway 2
For up-to-date information on road works, traffic, detours and delays, drivers are encouraged to visit the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner website(external link)
Waka Kotahi thanks you for your patience while we complete this essential work to make our state highways safer and more resilient.