While our crews have been working tirelessly to clear flooding and debris from roads across the motu, a number of slips overnight have forced additional road closures.
State Highway closures as of 9am
SH1 Brynderwyn to Waipu:
- Despite crews working overnight, SH1 Brynderwyn Hills remains closed from SH12 intersection to Waipu.
- Expect delays. Freight and heavy vehicles should detour via SH12 – light vehicles via Waipu/Mangawhai.
SH1 South-Eastern Highway off-ramp:
- Due to flooding, SH1 South-eastern Motorway off-ramp southbound is closed. Expect delays.
SH16 Great North Road Off-ramp and Great North:
- Due to flooding and underslips, SH16 Great North Road off-ramp is closed. Expect delays.
SH25 Thames to Coromandel:
- Due to a slip at Ruamahunga, the highway is closed between Waiomu and Tapu.
No detour available.
SH25A Kopu to Hikuai:
- A large section of the road at summit of SH25A between Kopu and Hikuai has collapsed late this afternoon.
The highway is closed until further notice. The Tapu-Coroglen and 309 roads are also closed.
Detour is State Highway 2 via Karangahake Gorge.
SH3 Te Kūiti
- Slips and flooding on either side of Te Kūiti township have resulted in the closure of SH3 between SH4 and Oparure Road.
Traffic travelling on SH3 through Te Kūiti should use the Troopers Road and Oparure Road detour to the west of Te Kūiti. Traffic travelling into and out of Te Kūiti have a short local detour from the northern side of the town starting at Te Kumi Station Road.
- Flooding as closed SH37 between the roundabout at SH3 and Fullerton Road.
Work is being undertaken to reopen this slip to one lane as soon as possible.
Bay of Plenty/Gisborne region
SH29 Lower Kaimai to Tauriko:
- Due to a large slip at near Ruahihi Road the highway is closed between Poripori Road and Tauriko.
- A detour is available via Poripori Road.
SH 30 Tikitere to Rotoma
- Due to multiple slips, SH30 is closed between SH33 and SH34.
- A detour is available via SH2 and SH33.
SH2 between Ōpōtiki and Gisborne:
- The highway is closed due to flooding and slips.
SH 43 Stratford to Taumarunui
- Due to debris and flooding, SH 43 is closed between Stratford and Taumaranui.
Hawke’s Bay region
SH50 Maraekakaho, at Kereru Road Lower Kaimai to Tauriko:
- Fallen trees have closed a section of State Highway at Kereru Road.
- SH2 is an alternate route.
Delays are likely in multiple locations as road crews work to restore state highway routes.
This information is accurate at the time of release and is subject to change quickly.
Please check road and weather conditions before your journey:
Waka Kotahi Journeys(external link)
Metservice Weather Warnings(external link)
For more information on the Auckland storm event see: