Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises the following works through State Highway 2 (SH2) Tauranga to Waihī during the coming weeks.
Roundabout construction continues on both Rea Road and Tetley Road intersection and Morton Road Intersection. There is a lot of work happening on both sites with the passing lane between Aongatete Road and Morton Road being closed and a detour route at Rea Road and Tetley Road intersection currently in place.
People are asked to slow down through these sites and please follow the signs and directions of the traffic management team. There will be minor delays of one to two minutes at several sites which may result in some journeys through the area being delayed by up to 8 minutes. Rea Road and Tetley Road roundabout is expected to be completed by the end of 2022. Morton Road roundabout is expected to be completed mid-2023.
People driving through the following areas can expect minor delays:
- Athenree Road to Tanners Point Road – Road widening works continue throughout the week. Motorists can expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Tanners Point Road to Tuapiro Road - Road widening works continue throughout the week. Motorists can expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Rea Road / Tetley Road intersection – Roundabout construction underway. There are currently no right turns to Tetley Road and limited right turn options to Rea Road. Detours routes are available, please follow the signs and directions of the traffic management team. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Morton Rd Intersection - Roundabout construction underway. The south bound passing lane between Aongatete Road and Morton Road will be closed during the first week of August. Closing the passing lane is necessary to enable temporary traffic management for the safety of road users and road workers during the construction phases. Once Morton Road roundabout is complete the passing lane will no longer meet the required safety requirements and will be permanently closed. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Apata Station Road to Esdaile Road – Lane shifts for power relocation. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
Takitimu North Link Stage One
There are a range of construction activities taking place on the Takitimu North Link Stage One project between Te Puna and Tauranga:
- Wairoa Road - Stop/Go traffic management is in place for trucks crossing and a diversion road is live with a speed limit of 30km/h. If you are driving towards Bethlehem from Wairoa Road, we encourage you to use the underpass at Wairoa Bridge, to avoid a right turn onto SH2.
- Minden Road – There is a shoulder closure in place.
- Cambridge Road / Moffat Road - Barriers are now installed on the western side of Cambridge Road / Moffat Road. A temporary speed limit of 30km/h on Cambridge Road is in place during the day while our contractor’s crews are working on the bridge piling.
- SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road - A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will be in place while our contractor’s crews are working behind the barriers.
- Kopurererua Valley - A section of the cycleway is temporarily closed while service relocations take place alongside SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road. The work began at the start of June and is expected to be completed in September. A detour is in place to the alternate track parallel to the closed section, this is signposted for track users.
Some of the above works are weather dependent and may be postponed in the case of poor weather.
For up-to-date information on road works, traffic, detours and delays, drivers are encouraged to visit the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner website.
Journey Planner(external link)
Waka Kotahi thanks you for your patience while we complete this essential work to make our state highways safer and more resilient.