Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Monday 3 May:
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The Puarenga Bridge underpass remains closed until the end of May due to unforeseen construction issues.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge - Contractors continue attaching the bridge median to the road median at either end. A slight lane shift for westbound and eastbound traffic remains in place as contractors work to widen the sections of footpath on either side of the bridge to connect with the new shared path. Lane closures may be in place during off peak times.
- State Highway 30, east of Puarenga Bridge – Contractors work to complete the ambulance turning bay in the median east of the Puarenga Bridge outside the new St John’s Ambulance depot. Pouring of concrete is being finished this week and lane closures may be in place during off peak times.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road – The shared path on the northern side remains closed for public safety due to substantial delays in upgrading of services along this section. Shoulder/lane closures may occur during off-peak times as a result of this work.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – The final temporary roundabout is now in place near the Redwood Centre. This will allow contractors to complete work on the remaining sections of road before the signalised intersection is installed.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Road – Contractors are drilling the new watermain along the edge of the footpath on the northern side of Tarawera Road. The footpath will remain open while this is carried out. Drilling is expected to be complete by Wednesday 5 May.
- State Highway 30, Marino Road – Marino Road is now closed at the intersection with SH30/Te Ngae Road for approximately three and a half weeks. Access to all businesses on Marino Road is available via Vaughan Road. The closure is allowing contractors to install services and complete kerbing and surfacing.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills Road to Iles Road – Eastbound traffic has been shifted to the eastbound inside lane, reinstating the flush median for turning traffic. The new eastbound outside lane remains closed while contractors complete the shared path and garden works.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.