Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua this week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Waka Kotahi asks motorists to expect longer delays at times during the Easter holiday break, particularly at the Tarawera roundabout, as a result of the increased holiday traffic in the region.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 4 April
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public until late April. Alternative access across SH30/Te Ngae Road for pedestrians and cyclists is via the signalised pedestrian crossings at the Sala Street intersection.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge - Work at the Puarenga Bridge continues as the new, narrower median island nears structural completion. A slight lane shift for westbound and eastbound traffic remains in place. Any lane closures required for off-loading materials or pouring concrete will be done during off-peak hours when delays are expected to be minor.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road – Shoulder and/or lane closures will be in place throughout the week as construction of the shared path and upgrading of services continue along the northern side of SH30/Te Ngae Road. Any lane closures will be outside of peak hours.
Due to the number of hazards along this section, the shared path on the northern side remains closed to ensure public safety. Pedestrians and cyclists are asked to use the signalised crossings at either Iles Road or Sala Street and use the shared path on the southern side, crossing Tarawera Road at the temporary pedestrian crossing.
Some sites on this part of the corridor remain unfinished while contractors wait for services to be upgraded. Until various service providers can complete this work, the sites cannot be completed.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – Access into Vaughan Road from SH30/Te Ngae Road is closed until mid-April. Contractors encountered unexpected challenges at the intersection with Vaughan Road where they are working on the slip lane and median island. This has required contractors to close the entry to locate and upgrade the stormwater services before the surfacing can be completed.
This closure is causing delays to eastbound traffic between 4pm-6pm and in the morning peak. People are advised to allow extra time for their journeys. Access out of Vaughan Road is now open. Surfacing of the slip lane is expected to continue this week, weather dependant.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – Surfacing of the area outside The Good Eastern Taphouse has been delayed due to weather and is now planned to be carried out this week, weather dependant. The temporary lane shift for traffic entering Tarawera Road remains in place until mid-April.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – Contractors continue construction of the shared path between Allen Mills and Iles Road as well as preparing the fourth lane for surfacing. Surfacing was delayed last week and is now scheduled to be continued this week. The new lane is scheduled to be open by mid-April.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: