Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 7 March
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public. Alternative access across Te Ngae Road for pedestrians and cyclists is via the signalised pedestrian crossings at the Sala Street and SH30/Te Ngae Rd intersection – detour signage and directions are in place.
The underpass is being improved, with better access and amenity for pedestrians and cyclists, with this work expected to be completed in late April.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge - Work on the median at the Puarenga Bridge continues as the team prepare and construct the new raised median, which will be narrower than the previous island. A slight lane shift for westbound traffic is in place on the bridge and motorists should follow the new white line-marking.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Hamiora Place – Shoulder and/or lane closures will be in place throughout the week as construction of the shared path continues along the northern side of Te Ngae Road. Some areas of pathway are yet to be laid and the surface may be loose and uneven – people are advised to follow the footpath detour signs. Lane closures will be outside of peak hours.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – Contractors are re-aligning the slip lane and median island, as well as building the shared path, at the Vaughan Road intersection.
A 30km/h temporary speed limit is in place and the lane width into Vaughan Road is narrowed, with workers on either side of the lane.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – A temporary lane shift for traffic entering Tarawera Road will be in place from 8am, Monday 8 March to 6pm, Tuesday 9 March. The lane width for traffic entering Tarawera Round will be reduced during this time. Trucks and other large vehicles are advised to loop around the roundabout before entering Tarawera Road to allow for more space. Signage will be in place at the roundabout. Motorists are asked to be considerate and stay in their lane.
A 30km/h temporary speed limit remains in place at all times.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – Contractors will again be working on the retaining wall and handrail areas outside Neil Hunt Park.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – Eastbound traffic between Allen Mills and Iles Road continues to use the flush median as contractors complete road and footpath construction along this stretch of the corridor. This work is scheduled to be completed by late March.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site. Outside of work hours the road will operate as normal.
Pedestrians and cyclists will still be able to walk or cycle around all worksites and where required, staff can assist pedestrians to navigate worksites safely.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.