COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information for all alert levels, Waka Kotahi services and more

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

Transport Operators need to ensure they are correctly


If you have a Transport Service Licence you need to make sure the correct name is displayed.

Transport Operators need to ensure they are correctly licencedThe Transport Agency has recently dealt with several cases where a Transport Service Licence issued to a person is being used by a registered company. Often this happens when a person starts out as a sole trader and the business grows to a point where a registered company is established and takes over the business. 

A registered company is a separate legal entity which requires its own Transport Service Licence.  A Transport Service Licence cannot be transferred, so when this happens the company must make a new application and obtain a Transport Service Licence in the company name.  

If the correct name is not shown on the licence it could result in the company being deemed to be operating an unlicensed transport service.

If you are unsure if this applies to you or you wish to discuss your situation to ensure you have the correct transport licence, contact the commercial licencing team through our call centre on 0800822422 or via email at we can help you get the right Transport Service Licence for your company.

More information on Transport Service Licences can be found on the Transport Agency website as can the Transport Service Licence application form.