The NZ Transport Agency says preparations to get central Auckland's Wellington Street on-ramp ready for re-opening are well underway.
The NZTA's acting State Highways Manager for Auckland and Northland, Steve Mutton, says it is planned to have all necessary work completed and the on-ramp re-opened on Monday, 8 October.
There's a lot of work to be done over the next few weeks before the NZTA is satisfied that the on-ramp is safe for drivers,” Mr Mutton says.
Most of the work to date involves preparations to re-install ramp signals and electronic signage, similar to every other on-ramp on the Auckland motorway network. The programme of works during September will also include a new pavement to be laid on the on-ramp, lane markings to help drivers merge safely with the State Highway 1 motorway near the southern entrance to the Victoria Park Tunnels, and a thorough safety check before the on-ramp can be re-opened.
Mr Mutton says some of the work needs to be done at night.
“We apologise for any inconvenience to motorway drivers and to the community living nearby. We will do our best to keep any disruption and noise to a minimum, but the night work is necessary because it’s the only time when traffic is light enough for us to close motorway lanes so that we can work safely.”
The Wellington Street on-ramp was closed during the construction of the Victoria Park tunnel. The NZTA and Auckland Transport agreed earlier this month to re-open it after a detailed investigation into the on-ramp’s future use, which involved community feedback and detailed analysis of traffic using the motorway and local roads.
The Wellington Street on-ramp is a central Auckland entry onto the northbound lanes of State Highway 1 and to the Victoria Park tunnel and the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
For more information please contact:
Senior Communications Advisor
Engagement and Communications
Bay of Plenty
NZ Transport Agency
DDI 64 9 928 8720
M 027 213 7616