Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises the following works through State Highway 2 (SH2) Tauranga to Waihī during the coming weeks.
People driving through the following areas are asked to plan ahead and follow the sign posted speed limits.
Current work sites SH2 Tauranga to Waihī:
- Athenree Road to Tanners Point Road – Road widening works continue throughout the week. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Tanners Point Road to Tuapiro Road – Road widening works continue throughout the week. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Rea Road / Tetley Road intersection – Roundabout construction underway. Currently, there is no right turns to either Tetley Road and limited right turn options to Rea Road. Detours routes are available, please follow the signs and directions of the traffic management team. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Morton Road intersection – Roundabout construction underway. The south bound passing lane between Aongatete Road and Morton Road has been closed. Closing of the passing lane was necessary in the first instance to enable temporary traffic management for the safety of road users and road workers during the construction phases. Once this is completed the passing lane will no longer meet the required safety requirements and will be close permanently. Expect minor details of one to two minutes.
Takitimu North Link Stage One:
- SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road – A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will be in place while our contractor’s crews are working behind the barriers.
- Kopurererua Valley – A section of the pathway was temporarily closed from June while service relocations take place along the eastern side of SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road. The work is planned to be completed in September. A detour is in place to the alternate track parallel to the closed section, and signposted for track users. On the western side another section of the track closed permanently earlier this year.
- Cambridge Road / Harrison Road – Works will continue behind the barriers. On Saturday 27 August and 5 September, a Stop/Stop will be in place on Cambridge Road at the entrance to the new temporary Harrison Road for asphalting of the new entrance and driveway transition for the full day. For the week commencing 29 August a Stop/Stop will be in place for multiple periods up to 30 mins while unloading the piling casings for the new Cambridge Road Overbridge.
- Wairoa Road – Reduced speed of 30km/h continuing, with occasional Stop/Stop for large vehicle access for the bridge construction works (there will be significant crossings on 5 and 6 September). If you are driving towards Bethlehem from Wairoa Road, we encourage you to use the underpass at Wairoa Bridge, to avoid a right turn onto SH2.
- Minden Road – Services connection works will continue for until the end of August requiring various traffic management including shoulder closures to Stop/Go, some work will be completed at night. Anticipated to be minor disruption.
- Te Mete Road – Shoulder closure in place.
Some of the above works are weather dependent and may be postponed in the case of poor weather.
For up-to-date information on road works, traffic, detours and delays, drivers are encouraged to visit the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner website(external link)
Waka Kotahi thanks you for your patience while we complete this essential work to make our state highways safer and more resilient.