State Highway 2 continues to be a hive of activity this week, including overnight work and the new roundabout at Rea Road/Tetley Road nearing completion.
People travelling through the Rea Road/Tetley Road work site can expect night works over the coming fortnight, between Sunday and Thursday nights, beginning Sunday 2 October.
The final asphalt layers on each leg of the new roundabout will be finished between 7pm and 6am to minimise disruption, when there is less traffic on the road.
Further along SH2 a closure will be in place between Te Puna Road/Minden Road and Clarke Road intersections on both Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October, between 5am and 4pm, to allow tree removal to take place. A detour via Te Puna Road, Te Puna Station Road and Clarke Road will be in place. Delays are expected.
Looking ahead resealing work is about to commence throughout the region, with SH2 between Athenree and Bethlehem one of the key focus areas of the programme, and on SH29.
Chip sealing work begins mid-October and is expected to continue up to Christmas. On the busier highways the work will be carried out at night (7pm-6am) under Stop/Go traffic management, and reduced speed limits will be in place for 48 hours to allow the seal to bed in.
We ask if you are traveling through these sites during the outlined hours to slow down and follow the directions of the traffic management team. We appreciate there are multiple worksites on this corridor, please plan ahead by using the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner (journeys.nzta.govt.nz(external link)) which provides real-time updates.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, works may be postponed.
Current work sites SH2 Tauranga to Waihī
- Athenree Road to Tanners Point Road – Road works for install of new services. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Tanners Point Road to Tuapiro Road - Road widening works continue throughout the week. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Rea Road / Tetley Road Intersection – There will be intermittent Stop/Go traffic management in place during the day which may cause longer delays, but typically expect minor delays of one to two minutes. There will be Stop/Go traffic management in place during the night, expect five-minute delays. There are no right turns to either Tetley Road and limited right turn options to Rea Road. Detours routes are available, please follow the signs and directions of the traffic management team.
- Morton Road Intersection - Roundabout construction continues. Lane shifts and speed reductions in place. There will be intermittent Stop/Go traffic management in place which may cause longer delays, but typically expect minor delays of one to two minutes. Please follow the temporary signs and directions of the traffic management team.
- Turners Road to Esdaile Road – Lane shifts and speed restrictions for retaining wall construction and geotechnical investigations. There will be intermittent Stop/Go traffic management in place which may cause longer delays, but typically expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
Other SH2 sites
- SH2 Athenree to Pahoia – Road surface repairs will take place in multiple locations. Work will be undertaken between 7pm and 6am each night, from Sunday 25 to Thursday 29 September. Stop/Go traffic management and a temporary speed limit will be in place.
- SH2 Te Puna – SH2 will be closed between the SH2/Te Puna Road/Minden Road and SH2/Clarke Road intersections on both Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October, between the hours of 5am and 4pm, to allow tree removal to take place. A detour via Te Puna Road, Te Puna Station Road and Clarke Road will be in place. Delays are expected. More information
Takitimu North Link works between Tauranga and Te Puna include:
- SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road - A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will be in place while our contractor’s crews are working behind the barriers.
- Kopurererua Valley - A section of the pathway was temporarily closed from June while service relocations take place along the eastern side of SH29 / Takitimu Drive Toll Road. The work is planned to be completed by end October, later than anticipated due to weather conditions over winter months impacting the schedule. A detour is in place to the alternate track parallel to the closed section and signposted for track users. On the western side another section of the track closed permanently earlier this year.
- Cambridge Road – Works will continue behind the barriers and shoulder closures in the work area.
- Harrison Road - Asphalting of the new Harrison Road temporary entrance from Cambridge Road will be carried out later this month. Reduced lanes and Stop/Go in place when near road edge.
- Wairoa Road – Reduced speed of 30km/h continuing, may have Stop/Stop for large vehicle access for bridge construction works and the start of the earthworks season on the 16 September. If you are driving towards Bethlehem from Wairoa Road, we encourage you to use the underpass at Wairoa Bridge, to avoid a right turn onto SH2.
- Minden Road – Shoulder closures to Stop/Go for upcoming construction works. Anticipated to be minor disruption.
The above information is accurate at the time of release. Many of the above works are dependent on a number of factors, particularly weather, and may be postponed at short notice.
For up-to-date information on road works, traffic, detours and delays, motorists are encouraged to visit the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner website (journeys.nzta.govt.nz(external link)).
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience while we complete this essential work to keep the state highway network safe, accessible and resilient.