Waka Kotahi welcomes the Government’s confirmation on the direction and funding commitment to deliver the NZ Upgrade Programme.
It means Waka Kotahi will now be able to fully deliver 16 significant projects across the country that have confirmed scopes, costs and timeframes and are designed to respond better to climate change and housing needs.
Communities can look forward to transport improvements that provide more travel choices and help people get where they’re going safely, as well as future proofing and growing our economy, while responding to the impacts of travel on the environment.
These projects include Otaki to North of Levin, the Northern Pathway, Penlink, Papakura to Drury South stage one, SH1/29 in the Waikato, Takitimu North Link stage one, SH58, Melling, and the Canterbury and Queenstown transport packages.
Find out more about the Northern Pathway [PDF, 690 KB]
This is a major step forward from the initiation of the programme when a number of projects were still in their early stages of development, with detailed project information still being established.
To meet climate change and housing objectives, and manage debt responsibly following COVID-19, the Government has decided to make changes to a small number of projects.
They are Whangarei to Port Marsden Highway, Mill Road, Papakura to Drury South stage two and Takitimu North Link stage two.
Whangarei to Port Marsden Highway [PDF, 261 KB]
Mill Road and Papakura Drury South stage two [PDF, 912 KB]
Takitimu North Link stage two [PDF, 692 KB]
It will take time to work through the next steps on the changed projects but Waka Kotahi will continue to work closely with partners, communities and potentially affected landowners on projects that are changing as we establish what this means for them.
While there are some changes to the programme, Waka Kotahi has continued to progress projects across the NZ Upgrade Programme. Construction is already underway on thirteen transport projects and an estimated 800 people are already working on 20 Waka Kotahi projects.
We’ve signed construction contracts worth about half a billion dollars and expect that to double within the next 12 months, subject to approvals and property negotiations.
Significant project development work has also been carried out on all New Zealand Upgrade Programme projects, including engaging with communities on designs and route alignments.
Waka Kotahi and KiwiRail have also completed significant work to get a better understanding of project risks, scope, costs and timeframes.
Proactive release of NZ Upgrade Programme documents
Following the changes to the NZ Upgrade Programme which were announced on 4 June 2021, the Ministers of Transport and Finance have agreed to proactively release the advice that was relied on to inform those decisions. This release includes the advice provided by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, Ministry of Transport, Treasury and KiwiRail, as well as the Cabinet Paper taken to Cabinet on 31 May 2021.
Any questions in relation to this release should be directed to Official.Correspondence@nzta.govt.nz
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
- BRI-1911 NZ Upgrade Programme update [PDF, 701 KB]
- BRI-1928 NZ Upgrade Programme update – Drury and Paerata stations [PDF, 863 KB]
- BRI-1961 Queenstown rapid transit hub and public transport improvements along SH6 and 6A [PDF, 637 KB]
- BRI-1964 Northern Pathway update [PDF, 671 KB]
- BRI-2055 NZ Upgrade Programme – proactive briefing [PDF, 949 KB]
- BRI-2090 NZ Upgrade Programme – upcoming decisions [PDF, 742 KB]
- BRI-2107 Northern Pathway project update [PDF, 928 KB]
- BRI-2108 Takitimu North Link Stage 1 update [PDF, 839 KB]
- BRI-2118 Northern Pathway project update [PDF, 4.7 MB]
- BRI-2122 Papakura to Drury South and Mill Road project updates [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- BRI-2158 NZ Upgrade Programme – prioritisation [PDF, 2.9 MB]
- BRI-2174 Northern Pathway options summary [PDF, 948 KB]
- MIN-3576 Detailed breakdown of cost increases [PDF, 159 KB]
- MIN-3616 NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 69 KB]
- MINO-183 NZ Upgrade Programme queries [PDF, 11 KB]
- Monthly report – August 2020 [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- Monthly report – October 2020 [PDF, 791 KB]
- Monthly report – November 2020 [PDF, 427 KB]
- Monthly report – December 2020 / January 2021 [PDF, 430 KB]
- Monthly report – February 2021 [PDF, 233 KB]
- Monthly report – March 2021 [PDF, 438 KB]
Ministry of Transport
- OC191217 Supplementary information on GPS 2021 [PDF, 2.2 MB]
- OC191252 Considerations for the transport aspects of the Crown infrastructure investment package [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- OC191303 Implementing the capital investment package [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- OC200107 NZ Upgrade Package and the Drury Transport Investment Programme [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- OC200119 Implementing the NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- OC200199 Further advice on implementation of the NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- OC200307 Establishment Reports for the NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 2.2 MB]
- OC200345 Ministerial letter to Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency on the NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- OC200406 Update on the transport aspects of the NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- OC200450 Meeting with the NZ Upgrade Programme (Transport) oversight group 24 July 2020 [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- OC200503 Final establishment reports and delegations [PDF, 2 MB]
- OC200683 NZ Upgrade Programme update – August 2020 [PDF, 1 MB]
- OC200793 NZ Upgrade Programme update – September 2020 [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- OC200807 NZ Upgrade Programme update November 2020 [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- OC200807 Appendix 1 August NZ Upgrade Programme letter to KiwiRail Board Chair re delegations [PDF, 756 KB]
- OC200807 Appendix 1 August NZ Upgrade Programme letter to Waka Kotahi board chair re delegations [PDF, 761 KB]
- OC200807 Appendix 2 NZ Upgrade Programme baselining letter Waka Kotahi [PDF, 778 KB]
- OC200892 NZ Upgrade Programme September 2020 update cover note [PDF, 1000 KB]
- OC200971 NZ Upgrade Programme December 2020 update [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- OC200972 Transport infrastructure for Drury – impacts of delaying rail stations [PDF, 807 KB]
- OC201001 NZ Upgrade Programme pre-holiday update and interim commitments [PDF, 837 KB]
- OC210055 NZ Upgrade Programme – funding risks and programme options [PDF, 2.5 MB]
- OC210090 Upcoming NZ Upgrade Programme advice [PDF, 779 KB]
- OC210094 NZ Upgrade Programme February 2021 [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- OC210098 NZ Upgrade Programme information request on Papakura to Drury South [PDF, 653 KB]
- OC210108 Update on upcoming advice for the NZ Upgrade Programme [PDF, 1013 KB]
- OC210276 NZ Upgrade Programme – baseline update and detailed programme options [PDF, 3.3 MB]
- OC210353 NZ Upgrade Programme – further information on the assessment of options [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- OC210362 NZ Upgrade Programme – advice on the remaining programme options [PDF, 4.8 MB]
- OC210394 NZ Upgrade Programme – programme options [PDF, 3.5 MB]