This page relates to the 2021-24 National Land Transport Programme.
Work category 114 provides for the routine work necessary to maintain the function, structural integrity and appearance of:
- road bridges
- retaining structures
- stock access structures
- vehicular ferries
- cattle stops
- footpaths on road structures:
- pedestrian over-bridges/underpasses
- bridge waterways when the bridge itself is directly affected.
Work category 114 is available to the road maintenance activity classes:
- local road maintenance
- state highway maintenance
Local road and state highway maintenance
Examples of qualifying activities
Examples of qualifying activities include, but may not be limited to:
- repairs to handrails associated with structures
- repairs to guardrails, including wire rope barriers
- minor repairs to other components
- all cleaning and painting
- stream clearing and debris removal to maintain water courses under bridges
- repairs to protective works
- hire charges for Bailey bridges (excluding temporary bridges that are part of emergency works).
You can discuss with us (Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency as investor) whether other potential activities not listed above might also be eligible for inclusion in this work category.
Work category 114 excludes:
- any bridge constructed by any agency subsequent to 1954 that does not conform to a recognised design code.
Funding assistance rate
The usual funding assistance rate (FAR) is:
- 100% of Waka Kotahi state highway costs.
Submitting activities for National Land Transport Programme (NLTP) consideration and funding approval
Approved organisations and Waka Kotahi (for its own activities) submit their maintenance of structures activities for NLTP consideration and funding approval using the maintenance, operations and renewals module in Transport Investment Online.
Transport Investment Online(external link)
For more details of:
- conditions applying to maintenance of stock access structures, see information on stock crossings
Stock crossings (web page coming soon)