This page relates to the 2021-24 National Land Transport Programme.
Work category 122 provides for the routine care and attention of road features that support the safety performance and functional use of the network including:
- road furniture
- pavement markings
- carriageway and pedestrian crossing lighting.
Work category 122 is available to the following activity classes:
- local road maintenance
- state highway maintenance.
Local road and state highway maintenance
Examples of qualifying activities
Examples of qualifying activities include, but may not be limited to:
- maintenance of:
- traffic signs as accepted by Waka Kotahi policy
- road delineation marker posts
- pavement markings (including bus priority lane and cycleway markings on all non-separated road surfaces)
- signs and pavement markings required for stock crossings
- sight rails
- operation, maintenance and power costs of:
- carriageway lighting and their control systems
- Belisha beacons and lighting at pedestrian crossings.
You can discuss with us (Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency as investor) whether other potential activities not listed above might also be eligible for inclusion in this work category.
Work category 122 excludes:
- the reinstatement of facilities maintained under work category 122 caused by maintenance or construction work – this is charged to the maintenance or construction project
- any capital cost either as a direct charge or by amortisation
- maintenance of associated facilities specifically related to the footpath network, including signs, lighting, and hand rails/guard rails – these are funded under work category 125
Work category 125: Footpath maintenance
- any costs related to amenity lighting. This includes the lighting of:
- property and reserves
- under-veranda lighting
- festive lighting
- any other lighting not directly related to the operation of a road.
Funding assistance rate
The usual funding assistance rate is:
- 100% of Waka Kotahi state highway costs.
Submitting activities for National Land Transport Programme (NLTP) consideration and funding approval
Approved organisations and Waka Kotahi (for its own activities) submit their network services maintenance activities for NLTP consideration and funding approval using the maintenance, operations and renewals module in Transport Investment Online.
Transport Investment Online(external link)
Information for audit
For audit purposes, the following information must be retained by the approved organisation and Waka Kotahi (for its own activities) for carriageway lighting:
- power costs
- maintenance costs.
For more detailed information about: