This page relates to the 2021-24 National Land Transport Programme.
Work category 123 provides for the operation, maintenance and power costs of traffic signals and other traffic management equipment and facilities.
Work category 123 is available to the following activity classes:
- Road to Zero
- local road improvements
- state highway improvements.
Road to Zero (web page coming soon)
Local road and state highway maintenance
Examples of qualifying activities
Examples of qualifying activities include, but may not be limited to:
- operation, maintenance and power costs of:
- traffic signals
- advanced traffic management systems
- variable message signs
- area-wide traffic control systems, including update of software
- local area traffic management schemes, including speed control devices and threshold treatments
- ramp metering
- surveillance devices
- traffic monitoring equipment, such as closed-circuit television systems
- tunnel ventilation systems operation, fire control and emergency response preparedness
- transport operations centres (TOCs) – labour and facility costs
- emergency telephones on motorways
- weighing facilities owned by an approved organisation or Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (for its own activities) and/or operated as a weight surveillance facility
- incident response and management.
You can discuss with us (Waka Kotahi as investor) whether other potential activities not listed above might also be eligible for inclusion in this work category.
Work category 123 excludes:
- staff time for the operation of closed-circuit television systems (unless in a Transport Operations Centre)
- the reinstatement of facilities maintained under this work category following a renewal or construction/implementation activity – this is charged to the renewal or construction/implementation project.
Funding assistance rate
The usual funding assistance rate (FAR) is:
- 100% of Waka Kotahi state highway costs.
Submitting activities for National Land Transport Programme (NLTP) consideration and funding approval
Approved organisations and Waka Kotahi (for its own activities) submit their transport operations activities for NLTP consideration and funding approval using the maintenance, operations and renewals module in Transport Investment Online.
Transport Investment Online(external link)
For more details on traffic systems, see work category 122.
Work category 122: Network services maintenance