State Highway 2 closure for Bay Link bridge construction
State Highway 2 (SH2) between Bayfair roundabout and Te Maunga intersection will be closed during a weekend in July to enable construction of the second of Bay Link’s three bridges.
The closure is anticipated to take place from approximately 10pm on Friday 2 July until 5am on Monday 5 July 2021. Signposted detours will be in place.
Significant delays are anticipated. Motorists are encouraged to allow extra time for travel, use alternative routes or plan travel outside these times.
This closure is required to place 10 reinforced concrete beams (26m long and weighing 47T) across SH2 near Te Maunga intersection by a 350T crane positioned in the middle of the state highway.
A number of detours apply during the closure:
- SH2 towards Papamoa (TEL southbound): detour via Girven Road, Maranui Street, Sandhurst Drive and the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange
- SH2 towards Mount Maunganui and Tauranga (TEL northbound): detour via the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange, Sandhurst Drive, Maranui Street and Girven Road
Motorists travelling between Papamoa and Maungatapu in either direction along TEL/SH29A can still use the signalised intersection at Te Maunga.
- SH2 towards SH29A/Maungatapu: detour via Girven Road, Maranui Street, Sandhurst Drive, the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange and Truman Lane.
- SH29A towards Mount Maunganui/SH2 northbound: after turning right at the Te Maunga intersection, detour via the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange, Sandhurst Drive, Maranui Street and Girven Road.
- There will be no left turn from Exeter Street onto SH2, no right turn from Maranui Street onto Girven Road and no right turn from the Sandhurst/Mangatawa interchange onto TEL.
Residents on SH2/Maunganui Road between Girven Road and Exeter Street will be able to access their properties via Eversham Road, Exeter Street and the southbound lanes of SH2. Information about access arrangements will be provided directly to these residents.
Work will take place during day and night shifts to minimise the duration of the closure. If this work is impacted by weather or other unforeseen issues, it will be carried out on the next available weekend.
The Bay Link team thanks motorists, local residents and businesses for their patience during the closure. We would also like to acknowledge Baypark Events Venue and Tauranga Airport for their work to accommodate this closure around major events and airspace considerations.
This map provides an indication of the detour routes in place.