The new signalised intersection at the State Highway 30/Tarawera Road intersection in Rotorua is operational, marking a major milestone in the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
The upgrade means that one of Rotorua’s busiest intersections is safer and easier to use. While the traffic lights are operational, the community is being advised to expect delays while the intersection continues to be an active worksite for the next few weeks as final works are completed. There will be occasional lane closures, additional signage, and a 30km/h temporary speed limit in place.
Eastern Corridor Stage One is a section of SH30/Te Ngae Road between Sala Street and Ilse Road. Works include:
- Removal of the Tarawera Road roundabout and installation of traffic lights.
- An additional lane northbound between Tarawera and Iles roads.
- Solid centre median between Tarawera and Iles roads.
- New watermains installed along both sides of road.
- Upgrading the existing pedestrian underpass under the Puarenga Bridge.
- Upgrading the Sala Street intersection and shared pathways.