Maitai to Rocks Road shared path (M2RR) is an Urban Cycleways Programme funded project that is being built by the NZ Transport Agency. Upon completion the shared path and on-road commuter lanes will be jointly maintained by the Nelson City Council(external link) (NCC) and the Transport Agency.
The NCC investigated and recommended an option for an improved cycle facility between the Maitai River and Rocks Road to meet the needs of those interested in cycling but concerned about safety. The results of that investigation can be found in the Indicative Business Case (IBC) [PDF, 5.5 MB]
A multi criteria analysis was used to select the preferred option of a seaward shared path and improved off-road commuter cycle lane.
- Cycling infrastructure that caters to people interested in cycling but concerned about safety.
- Fewer cycle crashes.
- Better connectivity between the Maitai shared path and Wakefield Quay.
- A seaward side shared path on the road berm running from the Maitai shared path to Wakefield Quay.
- On road commuter cycle lanes.
- Mid-2017: stakeholder engagement.
- Late-2017: lodge resource consent.
- 2018: construction.