- A new Melling/SH2 interchange and river bridge to improve transport safety, reliability and transport choice.
- Flood protection elements include new stopbanks, a wider channel and elimination of the channel restriction caused by the Melling Bridge.
- Improved lifestyle through city centre revitalisation and creating a ‘River City’ identity.
The overall outcomes sought by RiverLink are a connected, resilient and secure floodplain; an integrated, resilient, safe and efficient transport network; a more liveable Hutt City and enhanced economic growth.
The Melling transport improvements aim to:
- provide safer journeys for all road users and pedestrians
- provide more efficient and reliable travel in peak periods and on weekends
- improve travel choice including access public transport and making it easier to walk and cycle to and from Hutt city centre
- improve security and availability of the road network
- help meet the requirements of the Greater Wellington Regional Council’s flood capacity improvements and work alongside the Hutt City Council’s Making Places initiative.
What’s happening and next steps
Following community engagement on the transport improvement options, we have confirmed a preferred option for the design of a new interchange at Melling. This is a diamond interchange connecting directly to Queens Drive.
Now that we have a preferred option, we must do further work to do to develop the design of the proposed interchange, and consider the costs involved. Then we will need to decide:
- the timing of the project
- how the project could be funded.
Melling interchange preferred option [PDF, 7.1 MB]