- A new Melling/SH2 interchange and river bridge to improve transport safety, reliability and transport choice.
- Flood protection elements include new stopbanks, a wider channel and elimination of the channel restriction caused by the Melling Bridge.
- Improved lifestyle through city centre revitalisation and creating a ‘River City’ identity.
The overall outcomes sought by RiverLink are a connected, resilient and secure floodplain; an integrated, resilient, safe and efficient transport network; a more liveable Hutt City and enhanced economic growth.
The Melling transport improvements aim to:
- provide safer journeys for all road users and pedestrians
- provide more efficient and reliable travel in peak periods and on weekends
- improve travel choice including access public transport and making it easier to walk and cycle to and from Hutt city centre
- improve security and availability of the road network
- help meet the requirements of the Greater Wellington Regional Council’s flood capacity improvements and work alongside the Hutt City Council’s Making Places initiative.
What’s happening and next steps
Following this community engagement on the transport improvement options, we will work with our RiverLink partners to assess the technical information and the community feedback. We’ll then refine our proposals and recommend a preferred option.
The Transport Agency needs to decide:
- the preferred option
- the timing of the project
- how the project could be funded.
Once a recommended option has been identified, we'll still need to get the necessary approvals, including funding and consents, before constructing any improvements.