The 32km stretch of SH2 has a poor safety record and at peak times capacity is a major issue, leading to queuing traffic and delays. Three-laning the highway, with two lanes for Auckland-bound traffic, will greatly improve capacity. There will be scope for four lanes in the future. Central wire rope barriers and side barriers, and for local roads four grade-separated intersections and a new roundabout – will make this a safer road for all users.
The Kopuku realignment and the Maramarua deviation projects are now included in the Pokeno to Mangatarata corridor project.
The SH2 project works will:
- Reduce death and serious injuries by 80 per cent over 20 years
- Lift the KiwiRAP rating from 2.5 to 4 stars
- Improve journey time predictability
- Provide safe property access for local communities
- Have wide shoulders suitable for cyclists