Making the road safer
State Highway 2 between Waihi and Omokoroa has been identified as one of the roads in the State Highway network which can be made safer.
Between 2006 and 2015, 21 people have lost their lives and 61 have been seriously injured along this stretch of rural highway. Most of these resulted from head-on and run off road crashes. This stretch of road has also been rated the 14th worst corridor in New Zealand in terms of the frequency of fatal and serious crashes.
The major safety problems with SH2 between Waihi and Tauranga are the condition and use. This stretch of road is currently rated a 2-star road under the KiwiRAP national road safety risk rating system, with 1-star being the lowest and 5-star being the highest. To serve its current function SH2 should be a 3-star rating or above.
Our immediate priority is to make this a safer stretch of road as soon as possible so that everyone can enjoy safer journeys.
What we are doing
People will always make mistakes, but there are changes we can make to the road so simple mistakes don't cost lives.
To make this stretch of road safer we are:
- widening the road
- putting in a wide centreline to help keep traffic apart
- widening the road shoulders to give drivers more room
- putting in roadside safety barriers where there are power poles, trees and deep ditches
- making 26 intersections safer.
The 40km stretch of state highway between Waihi and Omokoroa has been split into 10 sections. Work is being staggered to minimise disruption and delays for motorists. Each section is expected to take around 18 months to complete with the improvements expected to be finished in 2023.
Construction on the first 4km section, south of Waihi, between Heath Road and the Trig Road intersection includes:
- upgrading five intersections on Heath, Crean, Baxter, Ford and Trig Roads
- road and shoulder widening
- putting in a wide centreline, roadside safety barriers and a right-turn bay for Waimata School.
Design and planning work for the remaining nine sections is underway:
1. Trig Road to Mathers Road
2. Mathers Road to Athenree Gorge
3. Athenree Road to Tanners Point Road
4. Tanners Point Road to Kauri Point Road
5. Kauri Point Road to Lindemann Road
6. Wharawhara Road to Sharp Road
7. Sharp Road to Sargent Drive
8. Wainui South Road to Esdaile Road
9. Esdaile Road to Omokoroa Road.