This project was completed in January 2011.
The motorway has replaced Wiri Station Road as the main link from Manukau city centre to the Southwestern Motorway. The 4.5 kilometre motorway forms the southern section of the Western Ring Route, along with the SH20 Manukau Harbour Crossing project. Construction began in June 2006.
- 4.5-km-long four-lane motorway with new interchanges at Cavendish Drive and Lambie Drive and motorway-to-motorway connections to State Highway 1 and State Highway 20.
- Provision for a third lane to be added in each direction in the future (giving six lanes in total).
- Construction of 13 bridges.
- Motorway provides a direct link from State Highway 1 for motorists travelling to the airport.
- Provides considerable relief to local roads within the Manukau city centre area.
- Includes preparatory work towards the construction of a rail link to the Manukau city centre from the main North Island rail line. The Transport Agency's contractors, Leighton Works, are also constructing the future Manukau Railway Station for ARTA as part of Kiwirail's DART 9 project.