We've made the following safety improvements:
- Safety barriers to prevent vehicles hitting something much less forgiving, like a tree or deep ditch.
- Wide centrelines to provide greater separation between vehicles.
- Rumble strips to give drivers a wake-up call if they stray across the white line.
- Wider sealed shoulder at the side of the road to give recovery room for drivers who drift out of their lane or lose control.
- Relocated power poles
We also worked to improve safety for people on the road around the Garden of York shop with:
- A wider sealed shoulder at the side of the road
- A new turning bay to make it easier to turn right into the Garden of York
- Improved stormwater management to cover deep culverts and improve safety on the road shoulders.
Further work to improve safety on State Highway 57 is being undertaken between State Highway 1 and Levin through the Ōtaki to North of Levin project.
Check out the Ōtaki to North of Levin project in further detail(external link).