The road is open all day and all night (24/7), barring further closures due to more slips or incidents. Drivers are able to safely use the one-way sections with the aid of manual traffic management (Stop/Go) and/or with traffic lights. Electronic signs at either side of the hill will update people of any delays or significant issues on the hill.
All drivers, riders and road users are asked to be vigilant until the road is back to its more usual width.
Driving on Takaka Hill:
- There are no restrictions on the types of vehicles using the hill.
- Cyclists are able to bike the hill but we ask that they, and all drivers, take special care and be aware that motorists will need to wait if there is a cyclist ahead of them.
- Drivers, motorcycle riders and cyclists are not be able to stop between or within areas of the traffic signals or when there is manual traffic management.
- Drivers are not be able to overtake in these narrow areas for everyone’s safety.
- Turn your lights off while waiting at either end of the queue point so that your vehicle battery does not go flat.
Whilst waiting at the lights to go up the Takaka Hill to Takaka:
- Keep as far to the left as possible to allow for larger vehicles coming down.
- Keep the entrance to Riwaka Valley Road clear at all times – No waiting/stopping in the yellow cross-hatch zone.
Coming down the Takaka Hill from Takaka:
- Keep left, in particular when passing the queued traffic waiting to ascend.