During the final construction phase of the remaining five slip sites, Tākaka Hill road will be reduced to a single lane with traffic lights at each end of the work site to manage traffic flow and keep everyone safe.
Construction progressing well
The five remaining sites under construction are now able to be regularly worked on simultaneously, with retaining walls now either under construction or nearing completion to road level.
Several night closures will be necessary to undertake essential drainage and pavement works across the live road. For safety reasons, and least disruption to traffic, this work must be done at night. We will provide advance notification of these works so people can plan their journeys ahead.
Cyclist shuttle service
- A free shuttle service is available to take all cyclists and their bikes through the work site area safely while construction is underway.
- Shuttle service operates from 7am to 5pm, seven days a week.
- Cyclists call 0800 909 605 or 021 226 9664 when they arrive at either end of the lights to be picked up - the phone number is displayed at each set of traffic lights.
Driving on Tākaka Hill
- There are no restrictions on the types of vehicles using the hill.
- Drivers and motorcycle riders cannot stop between or within areas of the traffic signals or when there is manual traffic management.
- Drivers cannot overtake in these narrow areas for everyone’s safety.
- We recommend turning vehicle lights off while waiting at either end of the traffic lights to avoid a flat battery.
- Going up Tākaka Hill to Tākaka, keep as far to the left as possible to allow for larger vehicles coming down.
- Keep the entrance to Riwaka Valley Road clear at all times – No waiting or stopping in the yellow cross-hatch zone.
- Going down Tākaka Hill to Tākaka, keep left, in particular when passing the queued traffic waiting to go up.
Please drive with care through our roadwork site and follow the traffic signals which are there to keep you and the work crew safe.
Thank you for your patience while these important works are being carried out.
Subscribe to receive our regular project updates(external link).