We completed construction including the installation of new signals in March 2023.
The project, which is part of the New Zealand Upgrade Programme included:
- traffic signals at the intersection of State Highway 73 (SH73) and Weedons Ross Road with pedestrian crossing phases for improved safety
- a new link road connecting Weedons Ross Road with West Melton Road
- a new cul-de-sac on West Melton Road where it previously connected with Weedons Ross Road
- a new roundabout at the intersection of the new link road with Weedons Ross Road (opposite Kingsdowne Drive)
- new shared paths for pedestrians and cyclists connecting key parts of the community
- changes to stockwater races and other utility services.
These changes will improve connections in the community to key facilities, like the community and recreation centre, the Domain, local shops, West Melton School, early childcare facilities, churches, and the tavern.
It will be safer for the community to get around West Melton whether people are walking, cycling, scooting, or driving.
Travel times at the intersection will also be more reliable – which is important with the connection to the Christchurch Southern Motorway, and as Selwyn District continues to grow.
View larger map [PDF, 1.5 MB]