Construction start: February 2003
Construction finish: December 2006
Cost: $35 million
- The bridge links West Auckland and the North Shore
- The bridge is one of three projects that form the northernmost section of the Western Ring Route – the strategic alternative route linking Albany and Manukau via SH18, SH16 and SH20
- The new bridge increases capacity for motorists travelling to/from the northwest, between Hobsonville in West Auckland and Albany on the North Shore
- The new Upper Harbour Bridge features five lanes – three lanes east towards Greenhithe and two lanes west towards Hobsonville. The extra capacity helps relieve congestion on Upper Harbour Drive
The NZ Transport Agency is working to protect and enhance the natural, social and physical environment around the project area. This commitment to responsible resource management means comprehensive procedures were put in place to mitigate the effects of the project.
Coastal Marine area
Given the project’s location in the environmentally sensitive catchment of the Upper Waitemata Harbour, a number of innovative construction practices were adopted to minimise the impact on the marine environment.
- Mudcrete – a mixture of cement and soft marine mud at the site was used to complete the foundations below high-tide level on the new Upper Harbour Bridge. It was used in the construction of the widened causeway at the western end of the bridge.
- 1,400 tonnes of cement were added to 14,000 cubic metres of marine mud to produce the material. By using what is already on site, the mudcrete material reduces the need to import and dispose of excess material.
Fletcher Construction Company
The Fletcher Construction Company is the pre-eminent general contractor in New Zealand and the South Pacific. It has unrivalled depth and breadth of experience across all facets of the construction industry.
Beca is an international employee-owned engineering and related consultancy services group. Their range of services covers engineering, planning, project management, architecture, GIS and surveying, cost estimating, asset management and valuations.