The tunnel is equipped with state of the art communication and safety features including electronic message boards, public address and radio sound systems, CCTV cameras and high-powered ventilation and fire sprinkler systems. Additional safety features include:
- The tunnel and traffic inside it is monitored 24/7 by dedicated Tunnel Operators via CCTV and computerised systems.
- There are emergency exits and telephones every 150m along the right hand side of each tunnel. These exits (or cross-passages) provide direct access to the other tunnel and are only to be used in emergencies.
- Any vehicle stopped in a lane from accident, mechanical breakdown or otherwise, will be pushed or towed to a place of safety as quickly as possible.
- On-ramp signals to help regulate traffic flow. These signals are an important part of the extensive safety systems and will help manage traffic entering the tunnel if there’s an incident.
- Over-height detection systems which notify drivers if they are travelling in an over-height vehicle. This gives them an opportunity to pull over and take an alternative route.