The Wellington Northern Corridor has a key role to play in supporting economic transformation by improving the connections that enable the flow of people, goods and services throughout New Zealand.
The Wellington Northern Corridor Improvement will, when completed:
- support Wellington’s growing regional population
- support increased freight volumes in the region
- improve access to Wellington’s port, CBD, airport and hospital
- reduce congestion on state highways and local roads
- make travel safer
- make journey times more reliable
- make the highway more resilient to crashes or natural disasters by providing viable alternative routes and constructing roads that can recover quicker from natural events.
Wellington Northern Corridor projects
The individual sections of the project are at the stages listed below: