The NZ Transport Agency is aware of community concerns about noise from the Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway. In response to feedback from residents we have undertaken a number of actions, including the appointment of an expert review panel to evaluate operational noise from the M2PP Expressway. Read the report from the expert review panel and the terms of reference for this review.
The following actions have already been completed or are underway:
- Completion of approximately 5 kilometres of resurfacing of the northern section of the expressway with a low-noise asphalt (OGPA) surface.
- Removal of the outer rumble strip on the left-hand lane.
- Installation of special monitors that detect heavy vehicles using unsilenced engine brakes. We are using information from this ongoing monitoring to engage with the trucking industry and individual truck drivers to encourage limited engine braking in built-up areas of the expressway (where drivers’ safety is not affected).
- Installation of advisory signs, asking heavy vehicle operators to limit the use of engine brakes.
- Smoothing of the bridge joints to reduce noise (2018/19).
- Monitoring of noise from the remaining median strips (2018/19).
- Progressing the assessment and offer of potential building and/or property treatments to those specific properties identified in the expert panel review report (note that we have already contacted the identified property owners) (2018/19).
The Transport Agency has agreed to undertake other recommendations identified in the expert panel review report, including:
- Completing the additional noise monitoring at the specific locations identified in the expert panel report (2018/19).
- Reviewing the traffic model volume estimate (2018).
- Update and completion of the project documentation with respect to noise, including preparation of a post-construction review report (2019/20).
The final determination as to whether the Transport Agency has complied with its resource consent conditions is the responsibility of the Kāpiti Coast District Council as the consenting authority.
Expert panel review of road-traffic noise
An expert panel review of noise from the Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway has been completed.
Some information relating to individual addresses has been redacted from the report, in order to protect the private information of property owners.
Owners of the specified properties have been contacted directly by the NZ Transport Agency.
Review of as-built noise mitigation
A review of as-built noise mitigation for the Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway has been completed by Opus International Consultants Limited.
This review will be updated once re-surfacing work has been completed on the Expressway.
- If you wish to voice concerns about a New Zealand Standard, please send them in writing to Standards New Zealand email firstname.lastname@example.org (Note that the Transport Agency does not own any Standards and cannot change them.)
- If you have any further enquiries, please contact us by email: M2PPemail@example.com
- Traffic noise [PDF, 1.5 MB] [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Traffic noise – barriers [PDF, 947 KB] [PDF, 947 KB]
- Traffic noise – road surface [PDF, 1.2 MB] [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Heavy vehicle noise [PDF, 68 KB] [PDF, 68 KB]
- Engine braking noise [PDF, 306 KB]
- M2PP traffic noise – assessment, approvals, design and verification [PDF, 609 KB]
- M2PP traffic noise – what's happening? [PDF, 1001 KB]